Long-Term Shifts in 2012
During 2012, a truly momentous planetary meeting is happening in the sky: Pluto and Uranus are squaring each other, in their first connection since they formed the conjunction in the mid-1960’s that effectively WAS the sexual revolution—and all the other changes that happened in that turbulent time period.
This means that the years 2012 through 2015 will have some of the feel of the sixties, and will continue themes brought forward in the sixties. This serves to explain why 2012 feels like such a big deal.
Other, somewhat less big, events of this year include a sweet trine between Saturn (the Builder) and Neptune (the Dreamer) and a stressful square between Jupiter (the Magnifier) and Chiron (the Healer). I’ll make blogposts about these as the year moves along.
This year’s themes affect individual people in individual areas of life according to their own astrology charts. Will they affect you? Look here to find out.
Oh No, It’s Mercury Retrograde Again!
With Mercury still retrograde (i.e. moving backwards), this August begins with things in disarray, but insight should have descended briefly on July 28, leaving you with some ideas you can run with. When Mercury is retrograde, you can expect snarl-ups in paperwork at work and miscommunications in your personal life. Mercury turns direct (forwards) on August 7. What does all this mean? To find out, look here.
August begins with the heat of Leo. The bright days of midsummer may be waning from their peak but they are still long and Leo declares: “the sun is shining—we’d best make hay while it does!” Thus does Leo’s instinct for allowing creativity to flower wildly ensure a rich harvest in Virgo. The summer is in full swing and at its peak of heat and wealth. Luxuriate in luscious Leo. This year Leo runs from July 22nd through August 22nd.
Late August brings the Mutable Earth sign Virgo, running from the 22nd through September 22nd. Virgo is the season of the first harvest, which is appropriate because analytical, detail-oriented Virgo is all about separating the wheat from the chaff, both literally and metaphorically. Virgo is the organizer, focusing on purging and cleansing, sifting through every detail. This late summer harvest-time begins to set a tone of hard work for the winter by reminding us that the sunlight is now waning.
Each lunation (new or full moon) has a feeling-state that human beings will be prone to under it, a general mood.
FULL MOON IN AQUARIUS: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 1, 2012
This is an incendiary Moon, attempting to use cool Aquarian logic to foil the fire of the Leo Sun. But the Sun is supported by reactionary Uranus-in-Aries, while the Moon is supported by cerebral Jupiter-in-Gemini. The Fire side of this equation is progressive, enthusiastic and just plain explosive, while the Air side is open to exploration of all the possibilities—at least on an intellectual level. This Moon is definitely ready for new openings, but poses the question: “Should I take action or to just think about it?” This Moon doesn’t know, but will have a fun time figuring it out.
NEW MOON IN LEO: SATURDAY, AUGUST 17, 2012
The New Moon in Leo usually has such a joyous, playful mood, but this one may be more driven and focused than usual. Mars and Saturn in Libra add that drive and focus, suggesting that serious play might be in order. Take action, get physical, throw yourself into the mix—but do it for a reason, to serve a long-term goal that you’re intent on right now. A focused, creative effort that’s physical or tangible and that forwards a career project in some way would be a great use of this Moon’s abundant energies.
BLUE MOON/FULL MOON IN PISCES: THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2012
During the Sun’s passage through the industrious sign of Virgo, this Full Moon in Pisces invites you to take a break and rest fully. This kind of rest allows you to feel into the deeper meaning behind the tasks of your day, and to get back in touch with the spiritual foundation of your life. Pluto assists by adding career drive to the Sun’s efforts, and Pluto-in-Capricorn’s long-term goals can be filled with spiritual intent by using this dreamy Moon to visualize the fantasy of what your career could be. This Moon is also a Blue Moon, which is the second full moon inside a month. It doesn’t have any astrological significance, it’s just a cool phenomenon.
August’s Full Moon is sometimes called the Grain Moon.
Fortune Cookies for August, 2012
If you would like to receive these Fortune Cookies as they are happening,
instead of having to come back and look at them periodically,
follow me on Twitter.
- 8/1/12, Tonight’s Full Moon pits cool, Aquarius logic against fiery Leo stubbornness. Expect an emotional battle of wills.
- 8/2/12, When the charismatic Sun in Leo sextiles silver-tongued Jupiter in Gemini, you can persuade anyone of anything—don’t abuse this power!
- 8/7/12, The social whirl begins to ease as Venus moves from Gemini into gentle, caring Cancer. Wit is less important, warmth more so.
- 8/7/12, Whew! Mercury retrograde is over—but allow up to a week to get your life unsnarled.
- 8/9/12, Sweetheart Venus in Cancer trines compassionate Neptune in #Pisces, making for a day of gentleness, sympathy and delicious merging.
- 8/15/12, Venus opposes Pluto: Relationships intensify tonight—one person gets cool & controlling, the other runs hot & emotional.
- 8/15/12, Librans, what a year and what a month! First Saturn demands self-discipline, now Mars wants you to actually hold BOUNDARIES? Yikes!
- 8/15/12, Venus squares Uranus: Feeling rebellious? Maybe your partner is too. Try something new in your relationship—that could be the cure.
- 8/17/12, Sun sextiles Saturn: Taking responsibility can lead to recognition and praise. On the other hand, recognizing responsibility already taken can too.
- 8/17/12, Today’s New Moon in Leo wants serious play. Saturn and Mars help drive your career projects in a tangible, creative burst.
- 8/18/12, Mercury trines Uranus: Inspired communication rocket fuels your brain. Enjoy truth speaking but beware of motormouth and impulsive words.
- 8/19/12, During today’s void-of-course Moon in Libra, firm decisions involving long-term consequences can go terribly awry—avoid them.
- 8/20/12, Sun sextiles Mars today—ah the excitement and vitality of Fiery planets in agreement! Bring clarity into negotiations, win the day.
- 8/22/12, Got tunnel vision? Get microscopic. Find what really matters. Purge the imperfections. The Sun’s now in Virgo till Sept 22.
- 8/22/12, Mercury sextiles Jupiter: Think both globally and locally today and let the inspired ideas spill out in waves of enthusiasm.
- 8/23/12, Is Mars in Scorpio relentless and obsessed? Sure, but is that bad? Use his power for light. Mars is now in Scorpio until Oct 6.
- 8/24/12, Sun opposes Neptune: Today don’t let your creative energies get stopped by other people’s flakiness–or your own.
- 8/25/12, Physical action has such a sweet, intuitive flow to it when Mars trines Neptune! Follow that flow and trust your instincts.
- 8/29/12, Sun trines Pluto: Sit down and do a goal-setting process today to remind you of the ambitions that fuel your daily tasks. 5 min. DO IT NOW.
- 8/29/12, Mercury sextiles Saturn: The difference between princess and queen? A princess demands while a queen graciously expects only the best.
- 8/31/12, Visualize the dream of your ultimate career path and the contribution you could make during tomorrow’s Full Moon/Blue Moon in Pisces.
- 8/31/12, Oh goody—Mercury enters Virgo today, there until Sept 16. Isn’t it time you cleaned your desk and revamped all your systems?
If this Forecast is interesting to you, sign up for the Pandora Astrology Blessedly Brief Monthly Newsletter, so you’ll always be in touch with the stars.
Long-Term Shifts in 2012 During 2012, a truly momentous planetary meeting is happening in the sky: Pluto and Uranus are squaring each other, in their first connection since they formed the conjunction in the mid-1960’s that effectively WAS the sexual revolution—and all the other... Read more