10 Tips For Handling Deskwork During Mercury Retrograde
As my readers well know, Mercury goes retrograde every 4 months for a period of about 3 weeks, sowing disorder most times it does so. Here are some brief tips on how to handle things at your desk while the silver-tongued rascal is doing his backward jaunt:
- Expect interruptions. Prepare for them by cleaning up your desk and your to-do lists whenever you have the opportunity to do so. And when those interruptions come if you are already expecting them they don’t need to surprise you and knock you off-center.
- Don’t panic. Panic makes everything worse and nothing better.
- Hold your center. And when you lose hold of it (as will inevitably happen), return to it as soon as you can. If you don’t know what it feels like to be centered, you can learn that from a martial art or meditation practice.
- Ask yourself if this interruption is a true emergency. Does it really need handling now? Might it go away if ignored? Can someone else handle it? Develop a clear sense of what is (and what is not) truly urgent.
- Clean up as you go. Regard any task as finished only after it has also been cleaned up and your desk surface is once again empty.
- Close attention loops. When doing deskwork, it is normal to be interrupted in the middle of something you are doing. You then have to finish Thing 2 in order to go back to, and finish, Thing 1. During Mercury retrograde these attention loops can multiply until you suddenly find yourself inside the 6th nesting open loop, dying to finish it and get back to loops 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1. Focus on closing loops as soon as possible and making interruptions wait until you don’t need to interrupt yourself to handle them.
- Screen calls and don’t answer the phone unless you can really connect with the person on the other end. Keep your tone of voice warm and relaxed. If you can’t be warm and friendly, let the call go to voicemail and return it when you can be that way.
- Stop to share love with those most important to you. A five-minute concentrated petting session with your cat/dog, loving conversation with your partner or spouse or rough-and-tumble play with your child can save you hours of screaming anguish/recrimination/reproaches later. End those loving interactions with the promise of more later–then keep that promise.
- Take opportunities to clean up the past. During Mercury retrograde it is highly likely that some old past communication, miscommunication or noncommunication will come back to haunt you. Recognize it when it arrives on your doorstep. Do your best to handle it in a loving way, to yourself and the other person.
- Forgive yourself if you fail at any of these suggestions. Then get back into your center and try again.
Good luck! For more about the current Mercury retrograde period, look here.